Spanish Patatas Brava Recipe
Patatas bravas are fried potato dices served with salsa brava, a spicy tomato sauce and are a common Spanish tapa
Makes 2 plates of potatoes and 1 cup of salsa brava
1/2 kg potatoes
1 TB flour and extra flour for the potatoes
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp spicy cayenne
2 dried chillis
splash of vinegar
splash of white wine
1/2 white onion finely chopped
3/4 cup natural tomato paste
olive oil for the brava sauce
sunflower oil for the potatoes
salt and freshly ground pepper
Salsa Brava (The Sauce)
1. In a hot pan place some olive oil and add the crushed garlic cloves, cumin, chillis, paprika and cayenne.
2. Move the pan every now and then and avoid everything from frying. Leave it for about 2 minutes and add the onions. Poach the onions and add the tablespoon of flour.
3. When the flour starts taking golden colour add the wine.
4. Add the tomato paste and vinegar. Let it boil for a few minutes so the flavours concentrate. Taste for salt and spicynees. Add more if you want it spycier.
5. Blend the sauce with a food processor or blender. Reserve one tablespoon of sauce to add texture.
Boil a pot with water and some salt. As the water is boiling, peel and cut into irregular pieces the potatoes.
Add them to the water and pre-cook for 5 minutes.
Remove from water and cool.
Dry them well and add flour. Toss well until evenly coated.
Fry them in a pan with hot oil.
When golden remove to a plate and add salt.
Serve in a dish with the brava sauce on top.